Become a memberFor information on membership click here.
Proceedings on CD
11th conference now availableProceedings of all 11 ISAP Asphalt Pavement Design Conferences (1962 - 2010) are now available on CD in Acrobat format and are indexed and searchable. You can also print individual papers from the CD.
Click here for more information.
International Society for Asphalt Pavements
6776 Lake Drive, Suite 215
Lino Lakes, MN 55014
Tel: (651) 293-9188
Fax: (651) 293-9193
Contact ISAP Office Manager - Eileen Soler:
ISAP Day 2018 will be held on Sunday January 7, 2018 from 0830 to 1700 EST (UTC-5) in Washington, DC, USA as part of the Transportation Research Board’s (TRB) Annual Meeting. The session will be held in the Independence H room (on Level M4) in the Marriott Marquis hotel. An overview of the daily agenda is shown below:
0830–0915 Welcome and Review of ISAP Activities
0915–1130 TC on Pavement Field Evaluation – Eshan Dave, Chair
1130–1300 Lunch break
1300–1500 TC on Constitutive Modeling of Asphaltic Materials – Tom Scarpas, Chair
1500–1700 TC on Asphalt Pavements and Environment – Manfred Partl, Chair
The full agenda can be found here: 2018 ISAP Day Agenda
Whether or not you are an ISAP member, we would encourage you to attend and see what is happening with ISAP and the three Technical Committees (TC). More details will be posted as they are available.
The 2018 ISAP Conference will be held in Fortaleza, Brazil on June 19-21, 2018. The call for papers information is available here.
Abstract submission deadline: June 1st, 2017
Results by: August 3rd, 2017
Short paper submission deadline: September 1st, 2017
Final results: December 1st, 2017
For further information, you can visit the conference website at www.ISAP2018.com.br.
ISAP will once again have an ISAP Day on Sunday, January 8, 2017 from 8:30am-4:30pm in Washington D.C. during the TRB Conference. View the agenda below or download as a pdf.
ISAP Day Agenda – January 8, 2017
Location: Independence G (M4) Marriott Marquis
8:30am – 9:15 amWelcome and Review of ISAP activities by Board of Directors
- Introduction – ISAP vice Chair
- ISAP activities summary: Jean-Pascal Planche (Incoming ISAP Chair)
- ISAP events coming up in 2017
9:15 am – 11:30pmConstitutive Modeling of Asphaltic Materials (CMAM) Technical Committee – Chair: Tom Scarpas
- TC on Low Energy Mixes, Water Induced Damage in Asphaltic Mixes, Constitutive Modeling of Asphaltic Mixes, Pavement Interlayer Systems, Surface Properties, Chemo-Mechanics of Bituminous Materials
- Welcome – TC Chair Tom Scarpas, TU Delft
- Day theme: Skid Resistance: from Models to Norms
- Tire / road interface data using 3D photographic models – David Woodward, Ulster University (ROI)
- Advanced Characterization and Modelling of Pavement Surface Texture and Skid Resistance – a Comprehensive Approach Considering Chassis-, Tyre- and Pavement Dynamics – M. Oeser, M. Oeser, RWTH Aachen (DE)
- FHWA Pavement Friction Management Project – Gerardo Flintsch, Virginia Tech (USA)
- A European skid resistance measurement system for the Netherlands – Bert de Wit, RWS Rijkswaterstaat, Ministry of Infrastructure and Environment (NL)
11:30pm – 12:30pmLunch break
12:30pm – 2:30pmAsphalt Pavements and Environment (APE) Technical Committee – Chair: Manfred N. PARTL – Gabriele Tebaldi
- TC on Cold recycling technologies and mix design, New innovative Technologies and LCA
- Welcome, presentations and introduction.
- Report on TC activities
- Announcement of next APE Symposiums
- Technical presentations.
- Recycling and reuse in asphalt pavements
- Yu Yan, University of Florida (USA)
- Alan Carter, ETS (CAN)
- Elie Hajj, University of Nevada (USA)
- New challenges on asphalt pavements: healing
- Christiane Raab, EMPA (CH)
- Recycling and reuse in asphalt pavements
- New topics and new needs.
- Any other business
- Adjourn on the next APE conference
2:30pm – 4:30pmPavement Field Evaluation (PFE) Technical Committee – Chair: Eshan Dave
- TC on Pavement Field Evaluation Methods, such as accelerated pavement testing, non-destructive evaluation (deflection testing, surface wave propagation methods, GPR) and surface characterization (friction and roughness)
- Day theme: State of the Art Review on use of Wave Propagation Methods for Non-Destructive Characterization of Pavement Materials
- Session chair: Cédric Sauzéat from University of Lyon, ENTPE (FR)
– Richard Kim (North Carolina State University, Raleigh, USA)
– Anders Gudmarsson (PEAB company, Sweden)
– Nenad Gucunski (Rutgers University, NJ, USA)
– Henrik Bjurstrom (KTH, Sweden)
The aim with the session is to present the State of the Art in laboratory and field testing of pavements through wave propagation methods.
The session is intended to describe the development and current use of the following test methodologies to characterize asphalt pavements.
• Impact resonance test of asphalt concrete samples
• Surface wave testing of pavements (SASW, MASW)
The first 2 presenters will be dedicated to the first topic and the 2 others to the second topic.
- Other items:
- Information on working group formation
- Other planned TC activities
ISAP 4th International Symposium on Asphalt Pavements and Environment
November 20-21, 2017
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
“From Molecules to Innovative Pavements” and the 53rd Annual Peterson Research Conference
For further information, visit the Symposium website at: http://www.isap2016symposium.org/default.html
ISAP Day Agenda – January 10, 2016 (Download)
Location: Scarlet Oak (Mezzanine)/Marriott Marquis
8:30am – 9:00am Welcome and Review of ISAP activities by Board of Directors
- Introduction – Jean‐Pascal Planche (ISAP vice Chair)
- ISAP activities summary: Gabriele Tebaldi (ISAP Chair)
- ISAP events coming up in 2016
9:00am – 11:30pm Constitutive Modeling of Asphaltic Materials (CMAM) Technical Committee – Chair: Tom Scarpas
- TC dealing with Low Energy Mixes, Water Induced Damage in Asphaltic Mixes, Constitutive Modeling of Asphaltic Mixes, Pavement Interlayer Systems, Surface Properties, Chemo‐ Mechanics of Bituminous Materials
- 2016 Session Topics: “Moisture: the journey from damage to resilience” – Session chair: Tom Scarpas.
- Other items
11:30pm – 12:30pm Lunch break
12:30pm – 2:30pm Asphalt Pavements and Environment (APE) Technical Committee – Chair: Manfred N. PARTL ‐ Gabriele Tebaldi
- TC dealing with Cold recycling technologies and mix design, New innovative Technologies and LCA
- 2016 Session topics: “Resilient pavements. Pavements able to resist to extreme climatic events” – session Chairs: Manfred N. Partl and Gabriele Tebaldi
- Other items:
- Summary of the 3rd international Conference on Asphalt Pavements and Environment
- Information on the next APE conference.
2:30pm – 4:30pm Pavement Field Evaluation (PFE) Technical Committee – Chair: Eshan Dave
- TC dealing with Pavement Field Evaluation Methods, such as accelerated pavement testing, non‐ destructive evaluation (deflection testing, surface wave propagation methods, GPR) and surface characterization (friction and roughness)
- 2016 Session Topics: “Full‐Scale Pavement Evaluation for Improving Asphalt Performance” – Session chair: Navneet Garg from Federal Aviation Administration.
- Other items:
- Information on working group formation of Proposed activities
ISAP Technical Committee: Pavement Field Evaluation (TC-PFE) (Download)
ISAP Day at TRB (January 10 2016)
Location: Marriott Marquis in Scarlet Oak Room (Mezzanine Level)
Time: 14:30 – 16:30
Presentation Theme: State of the Art Presentations on Full-Scale Pavement Evaluation for Improving Asphalt Performance
Session Chair: Dr. Navneet Garg, Federal Aviation Administration, United States
Presentation from experts on the topic will discuss following:
- Description of accelerated testing devices and facilities (main motivation for the facility, capabilities of the facility, type of data/information gathered, type of sensors etc.)
- Brief description of recent and ongoing research studies on asphalt pavements (how accelerated testing is helping this research, what were key things learned from this research regarding asphalt pavements as well as your facility/device’s capabilities)
- Future Outlook (where are current gaps in asphalt pavement research using accelerated testing, where are current gaps in device/facility/sensors for accelerated pavement testing)
14:30 – 14:40: Brief overview of TC-PFE, Dr. Eshan Dave, University of New Hampshire, United States
14:45 – 15:05: Dr. Navneet Garg, FAA William J. Hughes Technical Center, United States 15:05 – 15:25: Dr. Christiane Raab, EMPA, Switzerland
15:25 – 15:45: Dr. Luis Guillermo Loría Salazar, Transportation Infrastructure Program- PITRA, Costa Rica
15:45 – 16:05: Dr. Pierre Hornych, IFSTTAR, France 16:05 – 16:25: Mr. Louw Du Plessis, CSIR, South Africa 16:25 onwards: Open Discussions
The GeoMEast2017 International Conference “Sustainable Civil Infrastructure: Innovative Infrastructure Geotechnology” will be held in Sharm El-Sheik, Egypt on July 15-19, 2107. There is an important section on Pavement Engineering, Airports and Advances in Pavement Techniques and ISAP is one of the sponsors of this conference. Further information can be found on the conference website: http://www.geomeast2017.org.
The deadline for submitting an abstract for the 2016 ISAP Symposium has been extended to July 17, 2015. All other important dates remain unchanged.
Abstracts can be submitted online at www.ISAP2016Symposium.org.
Download the ISAP 2016 Symposium Call for Abstracts here.
29 April 2015
In this 1stedition of the AsphaltNEWS for 2015, it gives us tremendous pleasure to feature some highlights about the recent study tour to Europe as undertaken by a group of very enthusiastic South Africans.
As is customary for our April edition, we pay tribute to our 2014 Award winners and the contribution they make to the dependability of the bituminous industry. Well done Hugh, Jaco and Sandra!
Along with the other articles, we trust that you will find this e-magazine an enjoyable and informative read.
Your comments and suggestions are, as always, most welcome